Chapter 5 of Argyle Armada gives an inside look at the team’s remarkable successes at the 2011 Tour de France, including four stage wins, seven days in the yellow jersey, and the overall team prize.
In the chapter, at a private after-party in Paris, Christian Vande Velde describes the race, saying, “From pipe dreams in 2003 for Jonathan to 2007 for a couple of us taking some serous risks coming to this team in the first place. From being the little engine that could to standing the whole…team on the podium in Paris. It’s been huge.”
In this interview for VeloNews, Vande Velde expands on this sense that Slipstream has always been underestimated, if not dismissed, for their quirkiness and their stance on doping. He also explains how being the underdog motivated him and the team as they helped Ryder Hesjedal ride to victory at this year’s Tour of Italy.
- Order an autographed copy from Mark Johnson’s website Ironstring.com.
- Argyle Armada at Amazon.com
- Argyle Armada at BarnesandNoble.com
- Argyle Armada at VeloGear.com
- Argyle Armada from Slipstream Sports and Team Garmin-Barracuda
- Argyle Armada at Chapters/Indigo
- Argyle Armada from your local independent bookseller