What happens after you’ve won a stage of the Tour de France? Here’s embedded writer-photographer Mark Johnson’s look at Thor Hushovd’s exit from the course after winning Stage 13 of the Tour.
From Chapter 5 of Argyle Armada
Long after all the team buses have left, Hushovd makes his way through a crowd of fans to a waiting team car. With the assistance of a Tour de France bouncer, he slips into the front seat, where he takes a moment to sign an autograph book for a boy in a polka dot climber’s jersey. A plastic container of food with “Thor” written on the lid waits in the backseat.
Team director Marie gets into the driver’s seat, and Marya Pongrace sits in the back, though she has a hard time shutting the door because as she gets in, a fan sticks his video camera through the door and won’t pull it out. When police finally pry the videographer off the vehicle, Marie starts the engine and the crowd parts.
Get behind the scenes with Argyle Armada, your all-access pass to the sport, lifestyle, and business of professional cycling. Argyle Armada is available from your local bookstore or bike shop or from these retailers:
- Order an autographed copy from Mark Johnson’s website Ironstring.com.
- Argyle Armada at Amazon.com
- Argyle Armada at BarnesandNoble.com
- Argyle Armada at VeloGear.com
- Argyle Armada from Slipstream Sports and Team Garmin-Barracuda
- Argyle Armada at Chapters/Indigo
- Argyle Armada from your local independent bookseller